Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Wow - Sacramento Zoo Education Team incredibly impressive

Went to the Sacramento Zoo yesterday with my brother, our wives, and our kids.  We met up there at 2:15 PM because my brother's 2 year old daughter is obsessed with orangutans and there was a educational talk scheduled for 2:15.


The talk was impressive and when it was over and the Zoo "Animal Ambassador" team started heading to the anteaters, well, we followed them.  And then, when that was over, we followed them to the clearing near the reptile house where they did an outdoor show with their Harris Hawk Saguaro.

The woman leading the show was one of the best public-science-education speakers I have ever seen.  Really.  She had a perfect temperament, explained complex topics, showed incredible respect to children asking bizarre questions, and showed a deep respect for the hawk that really blew me away (they realized that their activities with the hawk had been too repetitive and that it was getting bored so they were trying many new things to diversify it's life, for example).  We lingered and lingered soaking up everything she was doing.  I wish I could remember her name to give her extra props but I will figure it out.

Here are some pics --- most by me, some by my brother






















4 comments:

  1. The woman you are referring to is our daughter, Brooke Coe. Thanks for the nice comments-we think she's pretty special too!

    Don and Dayna Webber, Temecula, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayna and Don

    Thanks for the comment and info. And Kudos on the offspring ...

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. J. Eisen does a great job of communicating science. I will never forget sheepishly asking questions at the Baltimore Aquarium when I was a young kid. The friendly answers were a big help in keeping me interested in science. Kudos to Jonathan for giving credit where it is due.

    KSB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke is a pretty awesome boss, shes the one to go to when you want to know the scientific names of any animals

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...