Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Draft post cleanup #19: Spam and biased spam at that

Yet another post in my "draft blog post cleanup" series.  Here is #19 from September 2011:

I am sure many others out there who blog have gotten this kind of message:
We at Onlinephdprograms.com recently came across your blog and were excited to share with you an article “15 Fictional Professors We Wish Were Real” was recently published on our blog and we hoped that you would be interested in featuring or mentioning it in one of your posts.

(http://www.onlinephdprograms.com/15-fictional-professors-we-wish-were-real/)

Either way, I hope you continue putting out great content through your blog. It has been a sincere pleasure to read.

Thanks for your time,
Liz Nutt
I assume that these posts that are written for this, and various other sites, are all about driving up Google Search ranking somehow.  So I normally avoid writing about them.  But I thought I would in this case because, well, their post annoyed me because of the 15 functional professors they wrote about, only one is female.  Really, that is the best they could do?  In three minutes of web surfing (e.g., browsing this site and this one) I have come up with a list of fictional female professors who certainly could have been included in their list.  And many are much more interesting than some they wrote about.  Here are some examples:
  • Eleanor Arroway - Jodie Foster's character in Contact
  • Susan Calvin - character in Isaac Asimov's I Robot series
....

But then I stopped because I was disappointed I could not find more functional female professors to add to my list.  I do think the list posted by the OnlinePhD site could certainly have had more women on it ... but I never posted the post because I had a hard time coming up with a lot of examples ... but now that I am trying to revive draft posts ... well ... I will put this out there even if it is an incomplete thought

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...