Friday, December 09, 2011

NPR Piece on Discovery of Hydrothermal Vent Oasis


It discusses the story of the discovery of the first hydrothermal vent oases back in 1977. I note this is near and dear to my heart. I worked as an undergraduate and then after graduating in Colleen Cavanaugh's lab at Harvard on chemosynthetic symbioses. And then amazingly I got to go on the 2002 deep sea cruise celebrating the 25th anniversary of the discovery of the vents. On that cruise Rosebud (mentioned in this article) was discovered.

And I am still fascinating by the deep sea - (with Colleen Cavanaugh's lab esp. Irene Newton and w/ Tanja Woyke via JGI we sequenced the first chemosynthetic symbiont genome a few years ago). Hat tip to Eileen Choffness for pointing this story out.






1 comment:

  1. Also 1977? This *and* the Archaea. What a year for biodiversity.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...