Thursday, August 16, 2012

MMMMM: Microbes, Metagenomics, Minnesota, Mississippi, & Morrison

A really cool project is discussed in an issue of the University of Minnesota News: Microbes in the Mississippi : UMNews : University of Minnesota.  I found out about it through an automated web search I have running in the background via Google.  The news story discusses a project in which scientists from U. Minnesota are sampling the microbes in the Mississippi River using metagenomics.  Their data is (apparently) deposited into the IMG database and shared with the world (though I note - no link is provided).  This is exactly the kind of new project that cheap sequencing enables ...  I hope to see many many more like this ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...