Saturday, August 18, 2012

#Badomics word of the day & Worst New Omics Word Award: CircadiOmics

Really?  We need this new omics word in this paper?: CircadiOmics: integrating circadian genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics : Nature Methods : Nature Publishing Group

The good news?  I can't actually get the full text of the paper right now so I can't read what they say about this word.  The bad news?  A lot.  First, the definition is in the title.  And it is pretty clearly a badomics word.  Also, they seem to be serious that other people should use this word without laughing.  There is a website: http://circadiomics.igb.uci.edu.  Uggh.  This is an unnecessary addition to the biology lexicon.  Why not just saw "genomics of circadian rhythms"?  Does this really need a new word?  I don't think so.  So I am giving these authors my "Worst new omics word award" though I am not 100% sure how new the word is ..

For more on #badomics words see also::

1 comment:

  1. here's a new one ..
    Genet Med. 2012 Sep 20. doi: 10.1038/gim.2012.112. [Epub ahead of print]
    An informatics approach to analyzing the incidentalome.

    http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.sg/2012/09/an-informatics-approach-to-analyzing.html

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...