Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Trying to track down source of cartoon about coining "ome" words #badomics

I have this cartoon of direct relevance to my crusade to end the use of badomics words.  I have been trying to track where it came from for - like - ever.  And though I did not want to post it without getting permission I have decided to do so to try and track it's source.  Here it is


I note - I tried using Google Image search (see a discussion of how to do this here) and it finds some other versions of this cartoon online but none of them have a source for it either.  

So - does anyone out there know where this came from?


11 comments:

  1. hmm...

    a google search for the text yields this:
    http://cmbi.bjmu.edu.cn/news/0211/43.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting ... for some reason my google search with the text did not find that ... but I would bet the cartoon went with that article

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought it was when your acronym was used in papers, sans citation (PCR, BLAST, etc)

    ;-)

    The Other Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Referomics...citomics....no, no, that way lies madness!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TinEye yields nothing:
    http://www.tineye.com/search/a17c7dd5eb0e10dcfbe86427afc9763230423fbe/

    Igor

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. funny that the crusade to end the use of bad-omics has become c-omics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having something named after you. Smith-Waterman algorithm. Dayhoff matrix. Krebs cycle. Mendelian inheritance. And, of course, eisenomics http://eisenomics.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. One I am waiting to see is "fam-omics"...as we're seeing that, at least for now, taking a good family history is about as informative as any genome wide scan for complex diseases

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you use Google images?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently went to a talk on "extracellular matridomics": the study of all the components of the extracellular matrix. (So why not just say that you study the extracellular matrix?)

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...