Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Prochlorococcus on Science Friday

Well, I wish I had known this in advance and I would have posted something about it here before last Friday. But anyway - Penny Chisholm (from MIT) and her beloved Prochlorococcus (important photosynthetic marine microbes) were featured on Science Friday last week. Fortunately, NPR broadcast's like ScienceFriday are a form of Open Access. And you can listen to Penny here. It makes for some good listening -- she has some good lines about the importance of microbes as well as the need for more support for work on microbes. She also gives a good plug for the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation's Marine Microbiology Initiative (full disclosure - I just got a grant from this program). Note - the Science Friday host makes a bit of a blunder when at the end he asks if they have talked about viruses when a few minutes before she had done exactly that (for more on Prochlorococcus viruses see the Sullivan et al PLoS Biology paper here). You can also get a video of Penny giving a talk here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...