Thursday, March 22, 2012

OMG - Without a doubt the worst omics word ever - The Sexome

I really have nothing to say here.  I just got pointed to a new paper by Thiago Venancio.  The paper is - I kid you not: Understanding the Sexome: Measuring and Reporting Sex Differences in Gene Systems.  I don't have access to the paper but here is the abstract which is all you need
The current male bias in biomedical research should be eliminated. The large sex differences in incidence and progression of diseases mean that sex-biased factors are an untapped source of factors that protect from disease. Greater understanding will come from intensified study of the "sexome," which is the sum of sex-biased effects on gene networks and cell systems. The global search for sites and mechanisms of sex-specific regulation in diverse tissues will provide unanticipated insights into physiological regulation and targets for novel therapies.
That is without a doubt the worst omics word I have ever seen.  All my previous posts about bad omics words pale in comparison (though I encourage you to read them: Worst New Omics Word Award and bad omics word of the day).

1 comment:

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...