Thursday, March 01, 2012

My obsession with a Field Guide for Microbes

Recently I gave a talk at the AAAS Meeting in Vancouver on my dream of having "A Field Guide to the Microbes".  The talk was part of a session on the "Earth Microbiome Project" organized by Jack Gilbert and others.

You can see a slideshow with audio of my talk below:




It seems that my talk has sparked a lot of interest as I have been interviewed by various people and publications about this concept.

For example, Holly Menninger recently interviewed me for a blog post for the "Your Wild Life" blog:
Is a Field Guide for Microbes in Our Future? Q & A with Microbiologist Jonathan Eisen.

And today a wonderfully illustrated piece came out at Wired.Com by Daniela Hernandez titled "Book of Germs: A Quest for a Field Guide to Microbes."

If you are interested in some more background on what I have been thinking about a Field Guide to the Microbes here are some previous things I have written or said or commented on relating to this topic:
And if you want to check out some "Field Guide" like books on the topic of microbes I am posting some recommendations on an Amazon Page. My favorite is "A Field Guide to Bacteria" by Betsey Dyer.  

3 comments:

  1. Monecke et al. have done an excellent job of providing a field guide to clinically important S. aureus.

    http://hubs.plos.org/web/biodiversity/article/10.1371/journal.pone.0017936

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read the Wired article. Need any programming to get started? Submission website, phone app, etc... I don't have a microscope but I can write code.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...