Sunday, November 20, 2011

Letter from Prof. Phil Ward to Chancellor Katehi re pepper spray incident #OccupyUCDavis

Another letter.  This one from Prof. Phil Ward, ant guru from the Entomology Department.  It was a follow up to the one I posted earlier from Prof. Art Shapiro.

Dear Chancellor Katehi,

I share Art Shapiro’s concerns about the damage this incident has done to UC Davis. This was the most widely read and widely shared story on BBC News online today, exceeding in “popularity” the protests in Cairo and the repeat neutrino experiment.

At a minimum I urge you to promptly assume responsibility for the police action and to offer a full, unreserved apology to the university community, as well as an assurance that there will not be a repeat of this shameful event. Beyond that there is much additional fence-mending to be done.

Respectfully,

Philip S. Ward
Professor of Entomology
Department of Entomology and
Center for Population Biology
University of California at Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...