The news release says "The work may ultimately lead to treatment involving manipulation of the intestinal bacteria." True. The work may ultimately also lead to my screaming. Oh wait. It did already.
For more on Overselling the Microbiome see some of my other posts
- Overselling the microbiome award: MedicalDaily on Effects of Sugary Drink
- The microbiome in the news: risk of overselling but not always bad coverage
- Overselling the microbiome award: Scientists look to mummies for obesity cure
- Probiotics are the new viagra & the risks of overselling of probiotics
- Probiotic use spreading, lots of money being made, known benefits still murky
- Overselling the microbiome award #2: The Marshall Protocol
- Overselling the microbiome award: Stephen Barrie on pre and probiotics at the Huffington Post
- Dubious Press Release from Cedars-Sinai linking Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Bacteria in Gut
As I have said many time. I believe the human microbiome is VERY important. I believe it probably plays a role in all sorts of human issues - health and disease. But we need to be careful not to be misleading about what we know and don't know ...