Saturday, April 05, 2014

Good reading on the history of the terms/concepts of prokaryote & eukaryote

Preparing for some lectures at UC Davis for Biodiversity and The Tree of Life course and came across this: The Prokaryote-Eukaryote Dichotomy: Meanings and Mythology by Jan Sapp which I had not really scrutinized before.  It is quite good and has lots of information on the history of microbiology and the twisted history of the prokaryote - eukaryote distinction.  Veryvery interesting stuff.  And freely available in Pubmed Central. Thank you thank you thank you Pubmed Central and the American Society for Microbiology.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh that looks good! I gave this one by Olsen, Woese, and Overbeek below to some first year graduate students a while back. I love the vivid descriptions in it as it rips at the dichotomy dogma!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC205007/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely i love your post which you have posted very good content. I think you have analysed well. Keep up. san diego bankruptcy

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...