Thursday, April 10, 2014

And let the microbiology word play begin (re Entamoeba feeding)

New paper out about feeding by the parasitic amoeba Entamoeba histolytica.  Apparently, the work shows that this organism feeds by in essence taking bites out of cells.  (I say apparently because the paper is not open access and I don't have access to it from where I am writing).

Anyway - there are a lot of news stories about this.  And for some reason (I am not quite sure why) this has inspired headline writers to get out their pun pens and creative thinking caps.  Here are some of the headlines:


And more coming I assume.

Though as far as I can tell none of the stories picked up on a key word play that could have been made.  The lead scientist behind the study is named Petri.   Someone really should have had "dish" in the title ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...