Thursday, February 09, 2012

Interesting 2011 pub on origin of multicellularity in cyanobacteria

Just a quick one here.  There is an (openaccess) publication I thought people might find interesting: The origin of multicellularity in cyanobacteria.  Schirrmeister BE, Antonelli A, Bagheri HC. BMC Evol Biol. 2011 Feb 14;11:45.

In particular it has some very nice figures on phylogeny of cyanobacteria and the evolution of phenotypes in the group.


Figure 1. Phylogenetic tree of 1,254 cyanobacterial species. 

Figure 4. Phylogenetic tree of a cyanobacterial subset

Some of the same authors also have a paper on the need for better phylogenetic sampling of genome data in the group:


Evolution of cyanobacterial morphotypes: Taxa required for improved phylogenomic approaches. Schirrmeister BE, Anisimova M, Antonelli A, Bagheri HC. Commun Integr Biol. 2011 Jul;4(4):424-7. Epub 2011 Jul 1.

Though I note, I am a bit annoyed and surprised they did not cite my "Phylogeny driven genomic encyclopedia" paper in this pub ...

2 comments:

  1. We thank you for your interest in our two articles. We also agree that the Wu et al. 2009 Nature article should have been cited in our CIB article. Wu et al. 2009 is clearly an important contribution and we sincerely regret the omission.

    Best regards

    B.Schirrmeister & H.Bagheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments .... no problem with the omission ... I find it very hard to keep up with everything and to keep track of everything I have seen

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...