Saturday, September 17, 2011

Researchers seeking volunteers who have had HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema)

Just a mini post here. If you have ever had high altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE, also known as altitude sickness  which they refer to as "a devastating form of altitude sickness") or know someone how has please check out: | Join the International HAPE Database. A group of researchers are seeking people to register in their HAPE database for future scientific studies of HAPE.

And so as to not have a post with just text I am putting in some pics of me in semi-high places (never gotten HAPE myself)

At Breckenridge
Atop Pico Bolivar in Venezuela
On top of Gothic Mountain in CO


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Jonathan, HAPE is a bit more severe than simple altitude sickness. General altitude sickness is referred to as Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS). This is what most people think of as altitude sickness. High Altitude Pulmonary Edema is far more serious and is not cured by altitude sickness medicine. It requires descent from altitude and immediate medical attention. Here is a good site for more details:

  3. Thanks Cameron - I have updated the post to quote their web site


Most recent post

Best pics from Trip to Monterey - Day 1 - May 25, 2022

  Went on a brief trip to Monterey, CA last week. Took lots of pics. Here are some of the better ones. Also see postings with identificati...