Carl Zimmer has an article today in the New York Times "Scientists Start a Genomic Catalog of Earth’s Abundant Microbes" about the paper and the project. In the article he interviews me and Hans-Peter Klenk, who was a co-author and led the culturing part of the project. A few things to note about this:
- It is rare to have archaea mentioned in the New York Times.
- There is a tree that goes along with the article which is a modified version of the tree we had in our paper. I think theirs is very nice. Kudos to their artist
- There is a quote by Norm Pace generally supportive of the project
- The article mentions the JGI Adopt a Microbe program and even has a shout out to Malcolm Campbell at Davidson College and his recent PLoS One paper where they discuss results from a project where they took one of the genomes from our project and used it as part of a course on genome annotation/analysis.
Other discussions worth checking out
- John Timmer's article for Ars Technica on "Presenting a genomic encyclopedia of bacteria (and archaea)"
- The Department of Energy is featuring the project as part of their "National Impact" Series" Scientists Launch the Genomic Encyclopedia of Bacteria and Archaea
- NYTimes Science Times discussion from Charlie Petit at the Knight Science Journalism tracker
- Archaea Make the Big Time from Genome Technology
- Woodland Daily Democrat (local paper): Encyclopedia of microbe genomes released
- Cory Golden at The Davis Enterprise wrote a nice story "Researchers urge new take on microbes" - not sure how long this stays online or how people access it though
- Microbe World has a bit on it
- Leonardo Martin has a really nice round up here
- The ScientificBlogging staff have written a bit about it here
- R&D mag Sr Editor Paul Livingstone has an interesting take on the story: Obsessive compulsive taxonomy
- Green Car Congress with mostly material from the press releases here.
- MyCor Web has a nice discussion of the paper
Wu, D., Hugenholtz, P., Mavromatis, K., Pukall, R., Dalin, E., Ivanova, N., Kunin, V., Goodwin, L., Wu, M., Tindall, B., Hooper, S., Pati, A., Lykidis, A., Spring, S., Anderson, I., D’haeseleer, P., Zemla, A., Singer, M., Lapidus, A., Nolan, M., Copeland, A., Han, C., Chen, F., Cheng, J., Lucas, S., Kerfeld, C., Lang, E., Gronow, S., Chain, P., Bruce, D., Rubin, E., Kyrpides, N., Klenk, H., & Eisen, J. (2009). A phylogeny-driven genomic encyclopaedia of Bacteria and Archaea Nature, 462 (7276), 1056-1060 DOI: 10.1038/nature08656
Bakke, P., Carney, N., DeLoache, W., Gearing, M., Ingvorsen, K., Lotz, M., McNair, J., Penumetcha, P., Simpson, S., Voss, L., Win, M., Heyer, L., & Campbell, A. (2009). Evaluation of Three Automated Genome Annotations for Halorhabdus utahensis PLoS ONE, 4 (7) DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0006291