Dear NIH principal investigators, signing officials, and applicants,
Are you planning to submit an NIH grant application? If so, please note that all applications intended for due dates on or after January 25, 2010* require the use of new forms and instructions. Major changes include:
· Restructured forms to align with review criteria
· Significantly shorter page limits
These changes apply to all competing applications, so whether you are submitting a new, renewal, resubmission or revision, you must take action now to ensure a successful submission!
1. Return to the updated funding opportunity announcement or reissued parent announcement to download the new application package and instructions.
– FOAs are in the process of being updated. See timeline for more information.
2. Be sure to choose the correct forms. Applications intended for due dates on or after January 25 require new forms.
– For Electronic SF 424 (R&R): ADOBE-FORMS-B
– For Paper PHS 398: Revision date “June 2009”
3. Read the updated FOA and new application instructions carefully
For more details the Enhancing Peer Review Web site which has a page dedicated to the upcoming application changes, as well as a number of additional resources including:
· A short video overview of the changes
· List of related policy notices
· A Training and Communications Resources page, and more.
NIH Office of Extramural Research
Division of Communications and Outreach
* Applicants eligible for continuous submission who are submitting R01, R21, and R34 AIDS applications should use the old SF 424 (R&R) ADOBE-FORMS-A on or before February 7, 2010 and the new SF 424 (R&R) ADOBE-FORMS-B thereafter. Non-AIDS applications from applicants eligible for continuous submission need to us ADOBE-FORMS-A on or before January 24, and the ADOBE-FORMS-B on or after January 25, 2010.