I got this by email and figured I would post it here.
Senior Scientific Editor, PLoS Biology – based in San Francisco
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) seeks an experienced editor and manager to lead its flagship life science journal – PLoS Biology – in San Francisco. Since its launch in 2003, PLoS Biology has rapidly become established as both a high impact journal and a leader in the open-access publishing movement. This is a unique opportunity to develop a ground-breaking journal, and to shape a fundamental transition in scientific publishing.
The primary responsibilities of the job will be:
· Oversight of all editorial aspects of the journal, including peer review of research articles and commissioning of additional content. This includes fostering a collaborative decision-making process among in-house editors and the editorial board
· Management of the journal editorial staff
· Working with the PLoS leadership and the journal team to determine journal strategy within the context of our publishing portfolio and open-access goals
· Leading the further development of the journal specifically as we introduce web features that will allow greater user participation
· Attending scientific conferences and outreach to the scientific community, representing PLoS Biology and the broader aims of open access
Required experience and qualities:
· Extensive experience handling peer review of primary research
· Substantial management experience, and excellent communication skills
· Broad knowledge of the biological sciences, with a network of contacts in the scientific community
· Knowledge of and interest in the changing nature of scientific publishing, particularly in an online environment
· Strong commitment to open-access publishing
· Willingness to be flexible to accommodate time differences between our international offices
PLoS offers competitive salaries, a creative and casual work environment as well as a full range of comprehensive benefits, including medical; dental and vision; life, LTD and STD coverage and a matching 401k program. If interested, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com and use “Managing Editor, PLoS Biology” as the subject of your email. Informal enquiries may be made by email to the Director of Publishing, Mark Patterson - firstname.lastname@example.org. Principals only – email from recruiters will be ignored.
I made a Storify of Tweets and some pictures from the "An open digital Global South" meeting that I am a co-organizer of. This was...
Well, this is disappointing if not disturbing A new paper is out that has some interesting findings but the paper itself, and the press r...
Just got this press release by email. I am sick of receiving dozens of unsolicited press releases, especially those in topics not relate...
I have a new friend in Google Scholar Updates I have written about the Updates system before and if you want more information please see...