Saturday, May 17, 2008

Microbial Evolution and co-Adaptation: A Workshop in Honor of Joshua Lederberg - Institute of Medicine

Well, in a few days I am off to a cool workshop in honor of Josh Lederberg (for more detail see this link Microbial Evolution and co-Adaptation: A Workshop in Honor of Joshua Lederberg - Institute of Medicine). The goal of the workshop is to "to inform the Forum and the general public about the many scientific and policy contributions of Dr. Joshua Lederberg to the life sciences, medicine, and public policy."

The workshop is put on by the Institute of Medicine in Washington DC and it is open to the public. You have to register in advance and I am not sure how many more slots are available but it looks to be pretty good. The sessions topics are are: "The microbiome and co-evolution" "Microbial evolution and the emergence of virulence" "Mechanisms of resistance" "Anticipation of future emerging infectious diseases" and there are some heavy hitter speakers in there including David Relman, Jo Handelsman, Jill Banfield, Margaret Mcfall-Ngai, Stanley Falkow, Bruce Levin, Julian Parkhill, Stanley Cohen, Julian Davies, Steven Morse, Ian Lipkin, and well, me.

I will be blogging from there, but if you are in the DC area or can be, it could be a good workshop.

I am also going to be writing a bit more about Lederberg and his favorite bug (E. coli) in the next few days so stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...