Monday, February 25, 2008

Calling Michael Ashburner - please start a blog

I just got done with reading Won for All by Michael Ashburner which came out a few years ago. This book discussed the sequencing of the Drosophila genome by Celera and is a fascinating read. The best part is the snarky, obsessive, and funny commentary by Ashburner on the players and the games they played in the course of this project. I know the book came out a while ago, but if there ever was a science author perfectly built for blogging it has to be Ashburner. So I am calling all science blog fans to try and find a way to get him to start a blog. Also - he is a big supporter of open access publishing ... as can be seen in the videos below:






See also some other Reviews of the book:

3 comments:

  1. Ashburner with a blog would be a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice try Jonathan, and thanks for yr words about "Won for All". But life is just too busy at the moment, I have no idea how you find the time to blog, I hardly even have time to read them and wait for mates to point out interesting blogs, like yours. Have fun with PLoS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cambridge have this unfortunate practice that I call "compulsory senility"; you hit 65yo, or perhaps 67yo, and then you're deemed to be senile and retired willy nilly. Michael is ample advertisement why that's a truly silly and wasteful policy, but perhaps he'll have time to blog. Then again, I doubt it ..

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...