Friday, March 05, 2010

Bad omics words of the day: modomics and tRNomics

Well, just was browsing through a paper on the non coding RNAs of the model halophile Haloferax volcanii, which I study. The paper BioMed Central | Full text | RNomics and Modomics in the halophilic archaea Haloferax volcanii: identification of RNA modification genes is quite useful. However, the terminology is icky. They use two omics terms I have never seen before, but I guess should have known were out there: tRNomics (all the tRNAs in an organism, or something like that) and modomics (the pattern of RNA modifications). These are really not needed are they? And since they are both in the same paper, today we are giving out a linked "Bad omics word of the day" award to both of these terms.

4 comments:

  1. 'signalosomes'.

    Yes, plural.

    This work has incredible implications for many systems where standard pharmacological inhibitors may not work, depending on the complexes they are associated with. It also points to the dangers of relying too much on pharmacology. In fact, the failure of classical pharmacological inhibitors may provide significant insights into how signalosomes are assembled. from http://f1000biology.com/article/id/2344956

    ReplyDelete
  2. let's see... if I write a paper and use a new 'omics' word in the title, then you'll advertise my paper for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...