Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Charles Darwin Endorses Obama as the "Natural Selection"

LONDON (AP).

Charles Darwin, famous for his work on the evolution of species, has announced that he is endorsing Sen. Barack Obama for President of the United States. Darwin through his family website said
"I have been watching the election in the States closely from my resting place. And though I like both Clinton and McCain in some ways, Obama is the clear choice from an evolutionary perspective."
Darwin has not endorsed a political candidate since Churchill and has never weighed in on elections in the US. He went on to say
"With all the trouble in the US over evolution, they need a strong candidate that embodies what evolution is all about. In this respect he is the natural selection. He stands for change and for survival. Plus he is the strongest advocate for science among the bunch"
Representatives from the Clinton camp would not discuss the endorsement on the record but one who asked to not be named since they were not authorized to discuss the issue said
"You know, we tried to reason with Charlie about this. We even got Bill to send some messages his way. But in the end, there is no changing the minds of some people, especially the dead."
Obama was thrilled. He said
"Since I was a little boy, I have been fascinated by dinosaurs. And I have carried that with me to today, where I am a strong supporter of having science education be independent of religion. I cannot think of a better person to get behind my candidacy."
Other deceased scientists are also considering endorsing candidates but none had made an announcement as of press time.

12 comments:

  1. I think we might just have found our "Obama boy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What else would you expect from Charles Darwin? The man was a male chauvinist pig who thought males were more evolutionarily advanced than females. I’m sure Barbara McClintock is endorsing Hilary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, come on Eileen. It doesn't do anyone justice to turn this into a blind race about sexism. I could just as easily say something pointless about how a racist, chauvinist pig such as Darwin would probably vote for Mike Huckabee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen: references? Luke: read the Voyage of the Beagle before you throw accusations of racism at Darwin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to ruffle some feathers with my light-hearted response. As for references, try: Susan S. Mosedale, "Science Corrupted: Victorian Biologists Consider 'The Woman Question,'" Journal of the History of Biology, 11 (1978): 1-55.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To all - Eileen has made wise and funny jabs about leaving women out of some previous satire posts of mine. This is simply a follow on of those, in my opinion.

    But hey - if McClintock would let me know who she endorses that would be great. I appear to only be channeling Darwin here, for better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all know that Charles Darwin did not hid his hate for black people. Here is a quote form Charly describing his racism."At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate, and replace, the savage races throughout the world. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes, as Professor Schaffhausen has remarked, will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope, even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as now between the Negro or Australian and the gorilla."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous - do you have a link/source for that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ignorance is bliss and so is this so called endorsement, but hey, to each their own. Every paradise has its fools.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...