Saturday, February 17, 2007

Badges - do scientists need any stinking badges?

Thanks to garry Myers at TIGR for pointing this one out.

I just got done browsing through the ScienceScouts Site. This comes from the Science Creative Quarteryly which I have never heard of before and seems to be some sort of blog. If anyone knows more about it let me know.

Anyway, the ScienceScouts site has "badges" like Boy Scout Badges, but for scientists.

Examples include:





"The "inordinately fond of invertebrate" badge.
In which the recipient professes an arguably unhealthy affinity for things of this category. (http://scq.ubc.ca/sciencescouts/index.html#30)"


and

The "I blog about science" badge.
In which the recipient maintains a blog where at least a quarter of the material is about science. Suffice to say, this does not include scientology.

(http://scq.ubc.ca/sciencescouts/index.html#6)





which of course, I am awarding to myself.

Garry suggests that I get them to add an "I support PLOS" badge, which I am going to do ... People should check it out and award badges to unsuspecting individuals

2 comments:

  1. Just found their suggestions page for new badges and someone has already suggested an Open Access badge.

    "

    As a follow up to The "worship me - I've published in Nature or Science" badge, how about The "worship me for real - I've published in an Open Access journal" badge.

    Also, a "I have a life" badge might be nice (i.e., highlighting the reality that it is possible to combine a passion for science with other weirdo hobbies such as family, the outdoors, or playing checkers).

    Posted by: Joanne | February 13, 2007 08:32 PM
    "

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Science Creative Quarterly is a quirky online science magazine produced at UBC. I think David Ng, of The World's Fair blog, is one of the editors.

    Its humour section is definitely worth investigating.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...