Monday, January 12, 2009

Computational Biologists bring together some of the "best jobs" in the US

Check out the WSJ article on "The Best and Worst Jobs in the U.S. - WSJ.com"

The top 5 are
1. Mathematician
2. Actuary
3. Statistician
4. Biologist
5. Software Engineer

Seems like I know a fair # of people who combine #1, #3, #4 and #5 although rarely in equal amounts. I am not sure if anyone out there combines all of the top 5 but there must be some scientist/actuaries doing this computational biology right? Seems like a pretty strange list to me in some ways, but I must say, being a mathematically inclined computational biologist is pretty fun. Now if I only knew statistics ...

Hat tip to Lior Pachter for posting this to Facebook where I found it.

4 comments:

  1. A statistical analysis performed by mathematicians showed that the best jobs in the country are held by mathematicians and statisticians? Shocked, I'm shocked. What an amazing coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine Fine Fine. And it is an amazing coincidence that I would write about this as opposed to the other "best jobs" lists that have seen, such as those for which a higher education is not useful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm 'parole officer' comes in at number 14, and 'motion picture editor' at 19?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is b/c all parole officers now are ALSO motion picture editors.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...