|Map of type strains.|
There are some 10,000 described type strains of bacteria and archaea. Not really a lot given that there are probably millions upon millions of species of bacteria and archaea. But it is what we have available to us in terms of the formally described and accepted species for which there is an available cultured strain.
At this site you can do things like "Adopt a Type Strain" or view a cool "Map of the type strains".
The Steering Committee for the project is
- Jonathan Eisen (University of California, Davis)
- George Garrity (Names for Life, USA)
- Philip Hugenholtz (Australian Centre for Ecogenomics Research, Australia)
- Hans-Peter Klenk (DSMZ, Germany)
- Nikos C. Kyrpides (DOE-Joint Genome Institute, USA)
- William B. Whitman (University of Georgia)
- Tanja Woyke (DOE-Joint Genome Institute, USA)