Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Genome Engineering #GESB16 in Gent - for Men Only #YAMMM

So I just got an invite to this meeting:


Looks interesting.  Not that I work in the field.  But I decided to check it out.

So I went to the website.

Blech.

Here are screenshots of the "Top Speakers"





32 speakers.  30 of which are men. *

That comes to 6% female, 94% male.  Not a good thing.  Shame on VIB Conferences and shame on the sponsors


I plan to send complaints to these sponsors to let them know I do not believe they should be sponsoring a meeting with such a clear gender bias.  

I also am going to register the meeting at Gender Avenger.



* I realize it is not always possible ot identify people's gender from names and appearances.  I looked up.  I looked at all the more detailed descriptions of the speakers to see how they were described (as in, what pronouns were used).

UPDATE 11-28-2015


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...