Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Dear UCLA IMED Seminar SPAM - I will NOT maintain your emails in a safe, secure and confidential manner

Grr.

I have gotten a few email announcements - that I did not sign up for - from a seminar series from UCLA called IMED.  The emails come with a warning at the end:
IMPORTANT WARNING: This email (and any attachments) is only intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may subject you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this message from your computer.
No - I will not keep your emails in a safe, secure and confidential manner.  No way to unsubscribe from the emails.  I did not sign up for them.  This is SPAM.  And even if it was not SPAM I would certainly not follow such a warning.  Am wondering - do these warning EVER hold any legal authority?

2 comments:

  1. The Economist doesn't seem to think these have any legal authority: http://www.economist.com/node/18529895 (you can't be bound to a contract just by receiving or reading it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silent Bob ;-2/06/2014 4:04 PM

    I notice you didn't post the rest of the announcement, so the warning must hold some sway...

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...