Remember Mr. Potato Head? You changed his look by snapping in plastic mustaches, googly eyes and feet. Now imagine doing the same with a living cell: inserting the genes you want to create the organism you want. Welcome to the world of synthetic biology. It has potential to create new bio-fuels and life-saving drugs. It also ushers in a host of ethical and safety concerns. We examine both when we discuss this emerging science of mix and match genes. Plus, does doing an end run around Mother Nature challenge the essence of life itself?This show is produced by the SETI institute and has some interesting topics on different science things.
- Jay Keasling - professor of chemical engineering and biological engineering at UC Berkeley and founder of Amyris Biotechnologies
- Jonathan Eisen - biologist at UC Davis
- Jim Thomas - researcher at ETC group in Ottawa, Canada
- Ed Regis - science writer and author of What Is Life: Investigating the Nature of Life in the Age of Synthetic Biology
- Michael Dosmann - curator of Living Collections at the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
Monday, August 11, 2008
Shameless Self Promotion # 200: Are We Alone
Just a little quick link here. People might be interested to check out the "Are we alone" Radio Show from July 21, 2008 (Are We Alone). A direct MP3 link is here. Here is there summary of the show from that date:
Most recent post
Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...
Just got this press release by email. I am sick of receiving dozens of unsolicited press releases, especially those in topics not related ...
New article out from the Eisen Lab: Isolation and sequence-based characterization of a koala symbiont: Lonepinella koalarumSee Isolation and sequence-based characterization of a koala symbiont: Lonepinella koalarum Paper based on PhD thesis work of Katie Dahlha...
I have a new friend in Google Scholar Updates I have written about the Updates system before and if you want more information please see...