Monday, May 27, 2013

I so want a few 1000 of these: Mobile Robotic Laboratory from MBARI

Thanks to Michael Ferrari for pointing me to this:: Mobile Robotic Laboratory Will Track Ocean Toxins - Popular Mechanics.  The article discusses some developments at MBARI for mobile sensor / sampler devices that could be used for various marine microbiology studies.  A few years ago I got a tour of MBARI from Alex Worden (see pics below) and got to see some of their toys but many of the developments in this article are new to me.  I can't wait until it is possible to deploy a few hundred thousand of these and get massive amounts of data ...








1 comment:

  1. We (ie someone in our lab, who is not me) got to piggy back on one of these. The data is astounding. We were able to see suites of genes turning on and off in synchrony in the environment.

    --start shameless-self-promotion--
    http://www.pnas.org/content/110/6/E488.short
    --end shameless-self-promotion--

    The future is bright (for ocean ecology). We're gonna need shades...and some serious data processing power.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...