|My tribute to Carl Woese 12/30/12|
News stories about Woese's passing
- Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette Visionary UI biologist Carl Woese, 84, dies
- U. of I. News: Renowned microbiologist Carl R. Woese dies at age 84
- University professor of microbiology dies at 84 years old
- Chicago Sun Times: Revolutionary U of I biologist Carl R. Woese dies
- NY Times: Carl Woese Dies at 84; Discovered Life's 'Third Domain'
- Wired: Carl Woese, (R)evolutionary Biologist
- Huff Post: Evolution Scientist Carl Woese Dies: 'The Most Important Evolution Scientist of the 20th Century'
- Carl Woese Dies | The Daily Scan | GenomeWeb
- Chicago Tribune: Carl R. Woese, microbiologist and professor at U. of I., 1928-2012
- January 2013 Reading in detail Carl Woese's 1998 "Manifesto on Microbial Genomics" for the first time ...
- April 2010 Most important paper ever in microbiology? Woese & Fox, 1977, discovery of archaea
- October 2010: Here's hoping molecular classification/systematics of cultured & uncultured microbes wins #NobelPrize in medicine ...
- September 2012: Some arguments for why Carl Woese (and probably Norm Pace) deserves a Nobel Prize
- Notes from a talk by Woese in 1993
- Evolution pumpkins - from Darwin to Woese
Storification of Tweets and other posts about his passing
Other posts worth reading about Woese's passing
- So long, and thanks for all the Archaea » Pharyngula
- Prof. Carl Woese – 1928-2012 | C.W. Schadt | Microbial Ecology Lab
- A Sad Post: RIP Carl Woese! - Creatures Great AND Small ...
- T. taxus: Carl Woese 1928-2012
- Carl Woese - NASA Astrobiology: Life in the Universe
- Honoring a scientific revolutionary from Rob Dunn
- In Memoriam Carl Woese from Karl Fogel's blog
- Carl Woese dead at 84 - The Panda's Thumb
- RIP Carl Woese: Evolutionary Pioneer from the DailyKos
- From Larry Smarr
- Reposting of a Woese interview in LaborJournal.De
- El árbol que plantó Carl R. Woese
- Archaea Are More Wonderful Than You Know
- A sad loss for Microbiology
- Curiosidades de la Microbiología: Carl Woese 1928-2012
- The new biology of Carl Woese
|My graduate student Russell Neches used a laser to etch a picture of Carl Woese on a piece of toast.|
- Carl Woese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Carl R Woese - The School of Molecular and Cellular Biology ...
- Phenomenal history / discussion of Woese's work: Phylogeny and beyond: Scientific, historical, and conceptual significance of the first tree of life
- 2007 Science article by Virginia Morell