Tuesday, August 21, 2012

How to find an Open Access journal for submitting your paper(s) #Jane #DOAJ

Got asked a question on Twitter that seems worthwhile to post here

Basically what I was suggesting was two possible steps. The first is to search the Database of Open Access Journals which is a great place to browse to see what the possibilities are. Another great resource/tool is JANE - the Journal/Author Name Estimator. I love Jane and use it all the time (if interested also see the paper on Jane here). The default screen for Jane looks like this:
And you can certainly use the default options. Just type in some keywords, or copy and paste a document or abstract of a paper and select "Find Journals" and voila you get some suggested journals which match your text. So for example if I paste in "evolution genomes novelty phylogeny microbes" and search for journals I get some useful suggested journal matches

And you can also select the "show articles" option which will, well, show you some of the article matches

Also you can even export the citations, which is a nice option for adding references to various collections you might have or for looking later.

You can also look for authors or articles that match your text/keywords instead of journals.  The "find authors" option is great for searching for possible reviewers if you are handling the review of a paper (or a grant). 

But my favorite part of Jane is what you can do with the "Show extra options" option. This is the menu you get


This allows one search for kinds of articles as well as for kinds of access.  For example, if I select "only journals with immediate access" I get a list of places I would submit papers


I am sure there are other resources out there but I particularly like these two ... Any other suggestions from the world out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...