And then as the evening progressed I found out more detail from the internal documents of the Heartland Institute that are even more disturbing:
The ultimate to me is in this leaked document:
Development of our "Global Warming Curriculum for K-12 Classrooms" project. Principals and teachers are heavily biased toward the alarmist perspective. To counter this we are considering launching an effort to develop alternative materials for K-12 classrooms. We are pursuing a proposal from Dr. David Wojick to produce a global warming curriculum for K-12 schools. Dr. Wojick is a consultant with the Office of Scientific and Technical Information at the U.S. Department of Energy in the area of information and communication science. His effort will focus on providing curriculum that shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and uncertain- two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science. We tentatively plan to pay Dr. Wojick $100,000 for 20 modules in 2012, with funding pledged by the Anonymous Donor.Let me repeat one part:
His effort will focus on providing curriculum that shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and uncertain - two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science.
UPDATE: Some additional news stories and posts of relevance
- Heartland Institute documents leaked
- Leak exposes how Heartland Institute works to undermine climate ...
- "..dissuading teachers from teaching science.." - right wing think tank papers ...
- Heartland Documents Reveal Fringe Denial Group Plans to Pursue Koch Money ...
- HeartlandGate: Anti-Science Institute's Insider Reveals Secrets
- The new anti-science assault on US schools
- Heartland Institute takes money from Kochs, gives it to deniers | Grist
- Brendan DeMelle: Heartland Institute Exposed: Internal Documents ...
UPDATE 4: More stories
- Climate sceptics – who gets paid what?
- Leaked: a plan to teach climate change skepticism in schools
- Climate Denial Bombshell
- Scientist denies he is mouthpiece of US climate-sceptic think tank
- Scientist accepts 'cash for climate'
- The REAL Climategate: Blog Busts Anti-Science Warchest
- Leaked Heartland Institute documents pull back curtain on climate skepticism
UPDATE 6: 2-15 8 PM More stories
- Leak Offers Glimpse of Campaign Against Climate Science NY Times
- Climate science attack machine took donations from major corporations The Guardian
- Climate change sceptic body's donor list leaked Financial Times
- The Heartland Files and the Climate Fight Andrew Revkin
- Heartland And DeSmogBlog Square Off Over Incendiary Documents Forbes
- The Heartland Institute Responds to Stolen and Fake Documents Forbes
- Openness: A Heartland-warming tale BBC
- Heartland burned by 'DenialGate' memos - Politico
- Leaked docs: Heartland Institute think tank pays climate contrarians very well Ars Technica
- CONFIRMED: Anti-Science Blogger Admits Heartland Institute’s ‘Special Project’ To Distort Temperature Data
- Who's the Anonymous Donor keeping a climate sceptic think tank afloat?
- Why Is Microsoft Paying Climate Change Denialists?
- INFLUENCE GAME: Leaks show group's climate efforts
- Leaked docs provide insight into how climate-skeptic groups operate
- How Corporate Lobbyists Stole the Conservative Brand
- Leaked Docs From Heartland Institute Cause a Stir—but Is One a Fake?
- Climate scientist Peter Gleick admits he leaked Heartland Institute documents
- Climate Expert Peter Gleick Admits Deception in Obtaining Heartland Institute ...
- The Origin of the Heartland Documents (by Gleick)
- Peter Gleick Admits to Deception in Obtaining Heartland Climate Files
- What does Peter Gleick's Heartland Institute admission do to his ...