Thursday, June 16, 2011

More art & science - hand painted poster at Synthetic Biology #synbio5 - by Karmella Haynes

I posted this to twitter yesterday but am now adding it to my blog since it was so great.  At the Synthetic Biology 5.0 meeting at Stanford I walked into the poster session last night to discover this incredible poster:



Karmella Haynes, had hand painted her poster on canvas.  Drawn in by the art, I went to talk to her (well, first I said "This is awesome" or something like that.  And then I found out a bit more detail.  She had her paints with her and was continuing to add touches to the painting.  Though I was fascinated by the art side of this, then we got to talking about the science because actually - the figures there were about work she had done on applying some ideas from synthetic biology to animal cells in tissue culture.

I was completely blown away by this.  I am not sure if the same posters will be up tomorrow and if so I will try to get some better shots.  Anyway, I found out she is on her way to a faculty position in Arizona and has recently been a post doctoral fellow at Davidson College.

And then with a little help from Google I discovered her openwetware page: Karmella Haynes.  And from that I found her art page: http://www.karmellahaynes.com/.  I hope she does more hand painted posters for conferences - it certainly brightened up the poster session and made my day.

1 comment:

  1. A nice reminder that art goes hand in hand with science - art is really important for the analysis and synthesis of ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...