Monday, June 16, 2008

Obama on Teaching Evolution

I finally found what appears to be a credible reference to Obama's views on teaching evolution. In an April Blog from the Dallas Morning News they quote the York Daily Record:

He was asked about the teaching of intelligent design and evolution in public schools. His response: 

I'm a Christian, and I believe in parents being able to provide children with religious instruction without interference from the state. But I also believe our schools are there to teach worldly knowledge and science. I believe in evolution, and I believe there's a difference between science and faith. That doesn't make faith any less important than science. It just means they're two different things. And I think it's a mistake to try to cloud the teaching of science with theories that frankly don't hold up to scientific inquiry.

McCain seems to have gone silent on this issue although I have pointed out that in the past that he was clear about science being taught in science classes. Seems like he is trying to steer clear of this issue. What ever happened to the straight talking McCain?

2 comments:

  1. You can track all the candidates' (on all levels) positions on science using the SHARP Network from Scientists and Engineers for America:

    http://sharp.sefora.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an interesting blog about this issue by Fran Dorf here.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...